A traditional pizza sauce that can be made in large batches (just double or triple the ingredients) and frozen for quick use on homemade pizzas, tortilla pizzas and calzones.
Hearty Pizza Sauce
Makes enough for 2 medium-sized pizzas
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced*
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 8 oz can of tomato sauce
Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a pan. Add the tomato paste and garlic and cook for a few minutes, stirring often, until tomato paste turns a dark burgundy red. Add in the next five ingredients and stir until well combined. Cook for a minute or two longer. Pour in the tomato sauce and whisk together until completely mixed. Let simmer for a minute or two and then remove from heat.