A kid-friendly lunch recipe that, with the exception of spices and salt, uses all WIC-approved foods.
Sweet Potato Quesadillas
Makes 8 quesadillas
- 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and diced*
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed*
- 2 green onions, sliced*
- 1 1/2 cups of cheddar, shredded*
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 8 fajita-sized whole wheat tortillas*
Place the diced sweet potatoes in pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer 10 minutes or so until tender. Remove from heat and drain.
Heat a griddle or pan over medium high heat. Place sweet potatoes in large bowl and mash. Add the black beans, green onions, cheddar, and spices. Stir well to combine. Add about 1/4 cup of filling to each tortillas and fold over. Cook until lightly browned, then flip over and brown the other side.
Makes 1/2 cup of dip
- 1/2 cup of plain Greek yogurt*
- Juice of 1 fresh lime*
- pinch of cumin
- pinch of salt
Combine the yogurt, lime juice, cumin and salt in a bowl. Mix well.